Tuesday, October 25, 2005

David returns from New Orleans (If you only read one blog entry, read this one!)

1:06 am Tuesday morning- I have just returned from New Orleans for the third time. I have a lot to say here.

I went there just several days ago, although, as usual, it feels like a lifetime ago. My goal was to see if we could find any more live pets trapped in homes, or if it was time to concentrate on all the pets running around in dangerous conditions on the streets.

I arrived Friday afternoon, and immediately went to our new staging area near the Southern Animal Foundation on Magazine St. Holly and Rob have been working around the clock to manage the effort and keep things going on the ground. If we were once a military force, we are now just a guerilla force with nearly no supplies, operating out of a parking lot. We are doing all we can to get some funds and supplies and in the last two days things seem to have improved a bit.

I loaded up my rental van with supplies, and it was already after dark when I began checking houses on our list of owners who reported their pets were left in homes before the hurricane, and needed rescue. The curfew in most parts of the city is now midnight. I began navigating the city streets in the dark, which is very difficult because in most areas, street lights are still out and the street signs were long ago either blown away entirely, or worse, spun around by the wind, making street navigation extraordinarily frustrating without GPS (which I did not have).

In the dark, one by one I began entering destroyed homes, alone and with no light but my flashlight. If going into musty, moldy, destroyed homes looking for starving pets is creepy in the day time, which it is, I can tell you it is much worse at night. In a deserted city, moving through room after room of muck-soaked debris, finding dead and decomposing animals, with the wind blowing and not a soul but me with a flashlight—it’s a weird experience, to say the least. Not for the weak of spirit. As I was driving in a particularly eerie part of the city, my brother got through to me on the cell and really hammered in the real danger--people thinking I am some kind of looter and shooting me. He finally got through to me, in a way. Instead of stopping, I crossed over the Mississippi to east New Orleans and talked my way past a National Guard check point and into an area where residents have not yet been allowed back. I continued to do my midnight searching there. I had Jane on the line in the middle of the night as I went through one house where several dogs had been reported left. Clearly the owner had been back and taken the dogs and much of the remaining belongings in the house, but he had left a fish tank with one dead guppy, but one live one. How hard would it have been to take his fish? So, with Jane on the line, I rummaged through the battered kitchen, found a glass jar with a lid, and managed to rescue the guppy-hey, all things great and small-a life is a life.

But most of the night was far more somber. I entered a pitch dark dog boarding kennel with dogs dead in the washbasin and the putrid smell of rotting carcasses. By the light of my flashlight, I saw carcasses of cats that had died, trapped, after being locked in bathrooms. House after house contained nothing but morbid signs of a catastrophe gone by, or no sign of pets at all because they had either been rescued by us or by their owners. Finally, I was stopped by the police, who found it really weird I was out in the middle of the night looking for pets in houses, so I decided it was time to call it a night and start over the next morning. I spent the next several hours, until almost 4am, preparing a special list of addresses for the most likely areas Jane and I could think of where pets might still be alone. Dorothy of dogdetective.com had refined that list further by looking for the words "locked” or “trapped” or “attic" in the description owners had given. Our thinking was that animals left in yards, for example, would already have been found, but a pet that was locked in or in an attic might not yet have been rescued and might still be alive.

The next morning I jumped in to give Rob a break and led the early-morning meeting. Then I headed out again, alone, to cover as many houses as possible. I literally ran from my car into houses, searching carefully every room, looking in every closet, climbing into attics, some collapsing into the rooms below. In all I must have visited and thoroughly searched upwards of 40 homes in one day--three times what a team would normally do, and I found nothing. Nothing. Every home had already been opened by us or an owner, some clearly a long time ago. I finished the day very discouraged to have not yet found a single pet still needing my help, and feeling that time was running out.

I staggered back to the apartment where some of us were staying, courtesy of a displaced renter. After a few hours of sleep I began again on Sunday. I headed out to Saint Bernard Parish, having no trouble (which is not always the case) getting past the rather eastern-bloc military barricade of stacked crushed cars. I saw homes where the flood had gone beyond the ceiling. House after house, no pets to be seen. I tried to keep my spirits up as I headed to a house where the owner had said a cat named Tiger had been left in a second-story apartment unit above the garage with some food and water. In a devastated area not covered as thoroughly by us as others, and safe above the flood, this cat might still be alive! I sped there through rubble-and-mud-filled and deserted streets, arriving at the house. There, spray painted on the house by one of our rescuers, was the words "cat with owner".

My heart sank. I had been denied my chance to save a life... and then what must seem obvious to anyone else hit me. I had lost my focus. My ego, which is such a strong motivator for me to act bravely and quickly, had led me astray. I walked up the muddy stairs to the room above the garage, verified that no cat was present and smiled to myself and said, as my Australian friends do, "Good on you, Tiger, you survived." What better thing? Tiger survived and was with his/her owner. This should make me ecstatic, not sad. At that moment I realized that each house I visited that had already been visited by an owner or us was in fact a victory. It became clear to me I was not going to meet my goal of saving one pet starved in a home, because, I now honestly believe, there are none left to save--or at least none remaining on the lists we have. The list is, after all, a list of only those pet guardians who ever heard of the 1-800 phone number HSUS set up, and only those who cared enough about their pets to call. Naturally, first chance they got, they came home. Some found their pets had been rescued by us, some found their pets alive, and some found them dead. But it is clear to me now, the cases reported on our list have been resolved already, whether we know it or not. There are, I think, still pets trapped in homes, but clean-up workers or landlords will have to find them and call us, and this is, in fact, still happening each day, and we of course respond instantly.

Seeing that our list is no longer of use was the kind of closure for me that Dorothy, Jane or Pia will never have, and I realize now why I had to go there to see for myself. None of us could ever look at a list that said, "Please, please rescue Tiger--He had some food and water and is trapped on the second floor" and believe that we should not go there even today and check it along with every remaining house on the list. We never had enough people to finish the list and we were late in getting it, but all it is now is a list of desperate pleas, no longer current, and I believe it does not tell the truth of what is out there. Continuing to go to houses on the list takes people off the real task of feeding and saving those pets who did survive and are now on the streets, under homes, and running in packs. The official search and rescue in homes in New Orleans is now over-not because any government agency or animal group said it is over, but because we have no way of finding more pets to save. The reality on the ground dictates our actions, not some edict from someone in an office. We are now concentrating on rescuing pets on the streets. It was so hard for me to say this, knowing I might be condemning that one remaining pet starving in a home on our list, but my heart and mind, and experience of covering perhaps 60 homes in 36 hours tells me that pets on our list are no longer waiting for us to save them. And the only way Dorothy, Jane and Pia would believe it was if it came from my mouth. I was sad to have worked so hard without saving one more, but now I feel that this is good. None remain starving or trapped that I can go help. They are rescued or at peace with God. It's out of my hands. It is time to finally, really, physically and mentally go home.

Something terrible happened in New Orleans. Something so terrible that if you were not there and did not see it or smell it, you cannot imagine it. If you were there, you understand what I am saying. We who went there and saw this horrible site, this place of dead and starving pets, of lives and homes and businesses in ruins, who smelled the stink of rotting sewage, flesh and poisons, whose eyes burned - we have a sense a what occurred and we will never be the same.

I got back to the apartment where we were staying too late Sunday night to find a place to eat that was open in the now re-opening Garden district of the city. So I asked Holly if there was any food. There was a can of baked beans, but no can opener. There was a pop top can of refried beans, but trust me, cold out of a can it is no good- I tasted it. I told Holly that there was a supermarket just a mile away- fully stocked and open. I joked that weeks from now, the entire city will be functional, except for a group of animal rescue volunteers camped out in an apartment eating canned rations, not unlike Japanese soldiers in caves on islands who never heard that the war ended. Things in New Orleans are, in some areas, returning to life. In other areas they will have to tear down everything and start again, and this poses the new threat...

Even before the hurricane, New Orleans had a very bad stray animal problem. Now there are many more dogs and cats on the street, many former pets, and many fewer people in the city to care for them. To make matters worse, many buildings will soon be destroyed, and these pets are hiding there. We must now get those pets off the streets, and that is the challenge Jane has turned herself towards.

I continued to work Monday, responding to those calls of pets in distress, and I did get to save my animal--two, actually. Our rescuers had come across a frightened and potentially aggressive black chow, living on a porch. The poor dog had survived the flood waters which barely stayed below the raised porch level, and had been fed by a kind neighbor who had returned. The neighbor said her name was Ebony (photo in my photo album on 1-800-Save-A-Pet.com). The neighbor had seen the owners pull up in a car, load what belongings they could, and leave the dog behind saying they didn't want her. When I arrived with a catch pole (a pole with a soft noose to grab hold of an aggressive or frightened animal), Ebony was huddled under a small coffee table on the porch, behind a potted plant, growling. That dog had been on that porch for weeks, and would let no one touch her. She was so scared, and that porch was the only safe place in the world for her right then.

I approached slowly and indirectly, opening up a can of cat food upwind and letting her smell it. I slowly placed it on the porch and kneeled down on the front lawn, looking away from her. Slowly, I moved up the steps and bit by bit began clearing away chairs and other items so I would be able to have a clear space. She was barking up a storm, but I could tell, she was just scared. She was a black chow, just like my rescue pup at home, and I knew this girl was going to get rescued now. Slowly, I leaned the pole toward her and placed the noose around her neck as she bit at it. Once around her neck I pulled it snug, but not too tight, and I sat down. There I stayed for maybe an hour. Just me and her. She fell asleep only to notice my hand coming close and growl again. All I wanted was to pet her. I knew that forcing her into the crate at this point would just further traumatize her, and I decided she could take whatever time she needed. This porch was her only safe place.

I called the original rescuer, Michelle, who had seen her. She said she wanted to take this pup home to Oregon. I told her to come back and sit with the dog for as long as it takes to get to pet her. She came over and sat down and I left to answer another call for a cat found healthy in an upper floor of an apartment complex.

So I drove out, back to East New Orleans where I had been in the dark two nights before, and after considerable trouble finding the apartment number in this huge complex, I went in an open door and up two flights of stairs and heard the cat. This orange tabby came right up to me like we were best friends. He looked great, I petted him and placed an open can of cat food in the carrier and he waltzed right in. I closed the carrier, but apparently did not clip it properly when I assembled it because walking outside back to the van, the door popped open and he jumped out! I was on the phone with Jane, getting my next address for an abandoned dog, and suddenly all time stood still. I held my breath and calmly crouched down and spoke to the cat, inviting him to come over to be petted. He thought about it and looked around... and then he came. He came back to me and let me pet him and pick him up and put him back in the carrier. That was a pivotal moment in that cat's life, and he made the right choice. I needed to check on one more dog, get the cat back to our staging area, and catch a plane.

And so, with only an hour left before I had to leave to catch my plane home, I had helped save one last dog and one last cat and I put their photos in my photo album our site. It still felt good because for two days and nights, I had seen nothing alive--nothing but rotting corpses and falling-in roofs. I just wanted to save a life one more time, and Jane knew that. She gave me one more call--A sweet pit bull who had survived the flood in the same area I was in, on the second floor of a house, only to have the owner come home and decide they didn't want the dog. This poor dog was apparently under the porch and I sped off, cat securely in the carrier in the car. The address was hard to find, and the house I did find did not have a porch. But I searched the house and could clearly see a pet had been in there for a long time, and there were tracks in the mud on the first floor. Clearly the address was right. I searched the area, using the smell of cat food on my fingers as a lure, but could find no dog. So I put up a feeding station, allowing the outside faucet to drip into a pan to keep it full of water and placed food beside it. Another rescuer will look again tomorrow. Damn, my last attempt and I didn't succeed. I just wasn't going to get to leave New Orleans on an up note.

It was good that I went back to New Orleans again. It gave me some closure I think. I also got the chance to visit a few of the places where I had left pets in homes with food and water many weeks ago. You see, early on, there was not room in the Gonzales facility for all the pets our teams were rescuing so we were being told to keep pets in homes. There was a also a belief that owners would soon come back, so if we could keep pets in their homes, basically turning the whole city into a shelter of sorts, the pets would soon be reunited with their families. What we didn't know was that hurricane Rita was coming to deliver more flooding, and that many people would never come back--many can't. It was a big mistake for us to leave those pets in homes. One of many. And as many of us do, I sit with the guilt wondering whether the pets we left in homes were ever subsequently rescued by our teams or if owners did, in fact, come back. It is haunting. But I am so happy to say that of the four homes I was able to return to where I had left cats and dogs, there were no dead animals there and all indications were that either an owner or one of our volunteers had since been there and rescued a live animal. I cannot tell you how cathartic this is for me, and I hope it gives hope to others who carry the same guilt and fear I do.

There will be no up-note to end this saga, no clean ending, no neat package with which we can tie up this story. That is what I told Jane and Dorothy, as we have to live with the knowledge that we never succeeded in checking every home of people who called in. There will always be question marks. There was the dog I fed and watered and left in a home on my first day--the place was toxic, but the dog was beside herself with fear, standing on a broken kitchen table in a corner, barking furiously. I left food and water and a broken open window, and spray-painted on the wall, as we all did, that a dog was present and inside. I do not know where that home was because it was my fist day ever in New Orleans and Pia and Dave Kaplowitz were doing the driving and navigation. I don't know if anyone ever went back there or if that poor dog survived. I pray she did. I will never know. We will never know the fate of the pets we sent to Gonzales and if they will ever find their owners -- if they will end up in good homes. With so many out there, I'm sure some will not, in fact I just heard of this terrible situation with Katrina pit bulls sent to someplace in Arkansas where they may have been starved. It’s all just awful. There will be no neat ending to this story.

This is an experience filled with vagueness and mistakes. I have spoken to HSUS, and all of us volunteers want a chance to contribute to a thorough review of all that has happened and many many things that could have been done much better in order to save more pets in the future. All of us who were there will carry with us haunting memories. I got a bit of closure, and of course I have Orlea, the black cat I took home to foster after my first "tour of duty". Here she lies curled on the couch, not far from Roger and Righteous, my other cats who seem to have decided in my absence that she is not so bad. And beneath them on the floor, also curled in a ball, fast asleep, is my black chow Peach. And in New Orleans tonight is a really scared black chow named Ebony who is going to have a great life in Oregon.

So if there is no neat ending, only open questions, let me try to neatly end in this way.

Something terrible happened in New Orleans--to people and to animals. Those words will always be how I begin when I describe this experience and how I end it. But what I do know is that a bunch of people, a bunch of heroes, showed up and saved thousands of animals. In a society whose government works to recover every dead human body but made no official effort that I know of to save one live animal, thousands of people just showed up. They were young and old, men and women. They just got on a plane or got in a car, paid their own way and just showed up, like me. They went on boats, broke through windows, climbed though rancid sludge, saw nightmarish sites, carried emaciated animals in their arms, drove for hours, provided emergency vet care, fed and walked and cared for animals, and shipped animals around the country. As I drove the streets of New Orleans one more time on the way to the airport, there was not a block without our tell-tale spray paint saying "pet rescued".

I believe more died than were ever rescued, but I don't know. What I do know is that while something terrible happened in New Orleans, something amazing happened there too. We showed up, and thanks to Jane and everyone, including many people I never met and so many hundreds who I have not mentioned and whose names I never even knew, we formed an army of life--nothing short of an army of life.

Many of us walk away with guilt and nightmares. If you are a rescuer and you are reading this, we understand each other. We left and felt terribly guilty. Most of us came back. We felt more at home in the horror, taking action, than at home with our friends or in our jobs. We had a purpose--a meaning--an urgency to life that just makes everything else seem so boring and unimportant. We carry guilt and memories that we feel no one can understand except someone who was there. We look at our own pets, happy and healthy, and feel somehow guilty. We hear a dog bark and think to find and rescue them. We know how fast things can go from fine to disaster. We look at healthy pets and can see emaciated pets inside them. I don't know how I'd make it without Pia to talk to. But we need to move on--to take these experiences and do better next time--to push forward.

My brother Bill has tried to console me. Bill is like a wise sage to me. He was reminding me of the Buddhist principal that all life involves suffering and all life ends in death--that I cannot second-guess life and can only do my best, find my path. I remember a Zen story, where a student and his master are walking down a forest path and the student sees a snail in the middle of the road. Compassionately, the student places the snail on the side of the road to avoid being stepped on, at which time the master slaps the student with his walking stick. The student asks the master why he did that, and the master replied that the student has no knowledge of ultimate consequences; perhaps he has just placed the snail closer to some other animal that will eat the snail. If I understand that story correctly, I believe it is not meant to teach people not to be compassionate, but rather to make the point that when we take actions in the world, even ones we think are good, we don't know the ultimate consequences and should therefore let things be and not try to play God.

But I have a different take on the story. I think the student did the right thing, even if he might have moved the snail closer to and not farther from danger. Who can know? But to me it’s not about the snail, it’s about the student. You are either a person who takes action to try to do good or not. We cannot know whether we succeed ultimately, but we can try. So, I guess if life is about suffering and we are all on our paths, I hope my actions helped there be a little less suffering, and helped prolong life for those animals. And as for me, and what I learned, honestly, I'm just going to need to sit with this for a long, long time. It didn't make sense--it was awful--the world was turned upside down. But there is one thing I can say now that I did learn.

Sometimes you just gotta show up. You can't always do everything, but now and again, you just gotta show up. I have a friend, a big supporter of animal causes, named Craig Neilson. Craig works with a small group that does spay/neuter of street dogs in Mexico, called the Give Some Life Foundation (www.givesomelife.org). They take vets and other volunteers and do big round-ups of stray pets and spay or neuter them, provide other medical care for them, and, where possible, get them into good homes. I called Craig when I first knew I was going to Louisiana and asked if he would come. He is a pilot and an ex-military man and I knew he had skills that would really help. Craig is one of the finest human beings I know and one of the finest animal people. He said that every day is a Katrina down in Mexico, and I understood him completely. He has invited me many times to go down and help, but I have always been busy, even busy doing other great things for animals with 1-800-Save-A-Pet.com. But when Pia called me from New Orleans, she got me to show up. She was a drop in the ocean, but she created a ripple that led to me and everyone I led to and all we did. She got me to show up. Jane showed up. Dorothy never even left her home, but believe me, night and day for the last seven weeks, she showed up.

So the next time you hear of a need or a crisis, before you think “how sad” and move on with your life, just take a second and consider maybe taking a chance and just showing up. You never know where it might lead. Make a call, send some money, or maybe, just that once, get in your car and go. Just decide now that you are going to reserve a few days of your life this year, and when the right thing crosses your path that moves you, just throw logic aside and just show up. That is how we can change the world.

There is still a great need in New Orleans--a need for people to help round up loose and frightened dogs and cats, a need for money and supplies. And the need for animals, even just dogs and cats goes far beyond that, of course. I helped start 1-800-Save-A-Pet.com to save animals. Before Katrina happened, we were saving pets--thousands--and we still are; over 1,400 shelters and rescue groups depend on us every day, and they adopt tens of thousands of pets with our help because of the visibility we give those poor caged dogs and cats on the internet. We have only one employee, Abbie Moore. She "shows up" every day, and I mean every day--seven days a week and late into the night. We are in a constant struggle for donations, or for companies that want to sponsor us. We also need to spread the word about our free service and get publicity. If you can help, please do.

And my last word on New Orleans, as of course it must be, is the animals. All the dogs and cats and horses and hamsters and birds. All the "pets" and even all the wild animals whose homes were flooded and destroyed, not only in Louisiana, but in Mississippi, Texas and now Florida. This story is about them. I saw something traumatic--but they lived it. Please tonight, say a prayer for all those that died--that drowned, trapped by the rising waters, or that starved because we did not get to them in time. Please say a prayer for the ones we rescued that are still in cages, awaiting a home somewhere. There is no clear ending to this story. A terrible thing happened in New Orleans...Let's not forget, and let's do better next time.


Blogger ElisabethAnneDavis said...

As I write this, the tears as still streaming down my face. You are right, a terrible thing happened in New Orleans. Amazing , wonderful, miraculous things happened there too. This is a story of tragedy and of heroes. Ordinary people who "showed up" and pulled life out of the destruction. Going to New Orleans changed my life - I will never think or act the same again. I pray that we all will remember that in "showing up" we begin to change the world. I pray for peace of mind for all who gave so much that so many might have a chance. Thank you David, Pia, Jane, Dorothy and all the heroes who loved animals enough to "show up."

9:01 PM  
Blogger Binary Blonde said...

Wow.. tears and tears. I am not even sure what to say.

I will be leaving for the Alley Cat Allies base camp in Louisiana on November 1st and staying for a week.

As a vet tech, I've seen a lot of suffering and have relieved a lot, too. I hope I can bring something of worth to this wonderful army of life.

Thank you for your story and for sharing it with us.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Evelyn said...

This post is so eloquent and such a terrific summary of the experiences we all had helping to rescue animals in New Orleans. thanks so much for writing it.

I have to agree, this has been a life changing event; and an incredible experience.

David has helped in with these frequent journal blogs by being our eyes and ears, providing information from behind the scenes, and now he's helping us by soothing our souls.

Thank you very much.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Nancy/Cincinnati said...

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!. I was there doing rescue work like you. I have struggled to put into words how I feel- You have done it for me. every sentence you wrote is me. I don't know what else to say but thank you. You are not alone, I am not alone, and in our prayers, the "ones left behind" are not alone either. Bless us all.
Nancy in Cincinnati

7:56 PM  
Blogger Nancy/Cincinnati said...

Dave, I hope this takes a little bit of guilt off your shoulders for the ones that you had to leave food/water for, but could not physically take.
I just got done looking at your photo albums of NO. As I was looking through the first group titled "hurricane Katrina rescue photos", I saw photo #19 titled "scared and hungry". it was a tan/white dog next to one of your feeding stations.
I recognized him right away! He was one of our rescues! I ran and got my photos I had taken from my time in NO in mid September with the Pasado Safe Haven rescue group- and there he was!! He was the first rescue of the day for my team. We got him a few days before we heard Hurricane Rita was coming.
Your feeding stations kept animals alive. They kept the tan/white one alive, and several others who we were able to rescue in that neighborhood- including one ticked off pit bull!
So, even though you didn't get
this guy yourself, please know
that what you did do is buy them time. What happened to all of them we will never know. But, I wanted you to know that at least a few of the angels that you couldn't take with you were rescued.
This is just one happy ending. Imagine how many others there are that we will never know about. We all were pieces of a chain.Imagine if just one of the thousands of rescuers hadn't "just showed up". If you were a rescuer in NO you have too many questions about the ones that were left behind or got away. I am happy to tell you that because of your team, our team could give him a happy ending.
Peaceful dreams,
Nancy in Cincinnati

9:44 PM  
Blogger WDM Info Services said...

I just searched "radio blog" on Google and found your blog.
It is very interesting, keep up the good work.

I think it would be a great asset to my newBlog Directory. Its good for your search rankings and Its free and only takes a few minutes to fill out.

If you like I can add it for you, just visit the site and click the contact button, I don't want to post my email address in your comments, you know how fast spammers pick up stuff like that.

If you could give me a link on your blog to my directory I will give you a featured listing.

William MacDonald
radio blog

10:53 PM  
Blogger dwycd said...


This blog entry is the most powerful statement I have read about Katrina. Thank you for opening your heart and sharing what this experience has meant for you.

I am weeks away from completing my first book to be published in the spring. The book explores a new concept called "abundance intelligence", and is all about helping people do what they can do. I would be honored if you would consider allowing me to interview you to share your experience and story with my readers. I can't think of a better example of abundance!

Please contact me by visiting my blog www.greatnessblog.com and we can set up the interview. (This is not some cheesy spam attempt, I am just leery of posting my email address or phone number.) The interview won't take much of your time and I would be so appreciative. It will be another way to get this powerful message out to people about what happened and what we can still do.

God bless you and all those who are doing what they can do . . .and God bless all living things.

In admiration,

8:42 AM  
Blogger highwaysmom said...

Thank you David, thank you for some closure. I too have been haunted since leaving NO and so many helpless animals behind. I've been living through bloggers such as you for updates and word of how the rescue effort is going and I trust your information.

Maybe, some day soon, I’ll sleep the night through. Maybe, I won’t wake up during the night and be unable to go back to sleep because of the images in my head. I won’t lie in the dark, able to picture an emaciated dog or cat, sitting in an abandoned, mold filled home, looking pitifully at a door or window, waiting for someone who never comes to rescue them. Maybe I won’t wonder in the dark: Did we miss one? Where they under the bed, in a closet, behind a box, or under a blanket? Did they die because we missed them? Because I was thirsty, or had to go to the bathroom and didn’t take long enough inside that house?

You have inspired me though, to tell a story. I too worry about animals we left behind. And I was a fool to not realize that other volunteers were wondering about the dogs and cats that we watered and fed. It was obvious someone had been in the neighborhoods before us rescuing, and probably after us, watering and feeding the same animals.

One of the areas we went into was in Michoud, off of Michoud Blvd. in the area of Bergerac St. and Strasbourg Pl. The very first time we stepped out of our truck a little brown and black puppy ran straight up to us and put her paws on my legs, she came from nowhere and she wasn't on our list that Jane had given us back at the Prowler. A resident, back for what few items he could salvage from his flood-ruined home, asked us if we could take her, her owner had returned, and when leaving, asked him if he would taker her--they no longer wanted her. We could not take her, the shelters were full, and HSUS was no longer accepting animals at Gonzalez. She was healthy and we left her food and water. At night, on my cot in the FEMA tent, I would think of her and if she was okay, and what would become of her. No one was going to come back to those houses, the inside of them was unbelievable.....discusting. I could not leave NO without her. The last day my husband and I were there, I looked at him, and he said, "We're going to get her, aren't we?" We drove the 50 minutes back to Michoud. I was terrified she'd be gone, or that we couldn't find her and she'd be left behind. When we returned to the same spot and whistled, she ran out from under some brush, right to us. I think she was waiting at the house formerly inhabited by her owners, waiting for people who would never return for her. It broke my heart. She sat in my lap, and then in the back of our extendid cab truck on the 12 hour trip back to Kentucky. Her name is Wednesday I we love her dearly. To think this 6 month old puppy survived 2 hurricane's and a 5 foot week-long flood when she was only 5 months old! There were other animals, that we left behind. There was a beautiful German Shepherd that wouldn't let us get near her. We watered and fed her, and left her. In a house, where the front and back doors were both open, and the water mark on the wall was high over my head, in a back bedroom was a cat. She meowed at as constantly as if she was telling us her story: "First there was a big storm with lots of wind, and then the water came in, and my people left me, and then it was dark, then I was hungry with nothing to eat......" We left cat food and water on top of the dryer down stairs so dogs in the area wouldn't get it....I wonder what happened to her. There were so many cats....so many....We would go into a back yard and they would scamper over the fences, we would gain entry into the front door and they would fly out a broken window....what happens to them when these houses are torn down?

Anyway, I didn't mean to right a book. I'm glad we went..I could not sit idly by....but I'll always wish we'd done more. I'll never look upon New Orleans the same, to me, it will always be synonymous with death, and emaciated, suffering animals, with stench and rot and mold and tears and nightmares and of people who somehow left their babies behind.

Miss Wednesday will never be left behind again.

Thanks again,
Tracy B.

10:56 AM  
Blogger senson69 said...

Free wordpress blog at theblog.cc Free Blog.

8:24 AM  
Blogger RockGirl said...

Thanks David. I needed to hear how you found closure in the last week. Going home was so hard. Being home and not being able to go back was harder. I'm trying to find ways to get donations down to the continuing effort to trap/feed animals on the streets. But your note helped me close a door on the possibility of animals locked in houses still waiting for rescue. That terrible feeling that I could have done more or if I did the right things now, someone else could save another life on the verge of expiring.
I have to be careful. My anxiety and lack of sleep before going to LA brought on the shingles while I was there. I have to take care of my emotional health while I try to help in any way I can.
I will be sending a link to your blog entry to others who have been feeling the same helplessness after going home. Thanks for all you do and have done (and the rousing speeches at 5:30am at the RV!).

10:40 PM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

I just came across your blog about dog training and
wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed
I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site about dog training
so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch!
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

1:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

David, truly an amazing accounting of your trip. Thank you for helping me feel better about NOT making a 2nd trip there, especially now. I spent a week in NOLA, returning to Seattle October 2nd, and every day wish I could still be there helping in some way. There is no happy ending. To feel that many in NOLA view us as criminals for the poor judgement and actions of a few, makes me very sad. We showed up to do the work no one else was doing, and that needed to be done. We didn't have the right resources, we weren't well organized, but we made a difference. We learned a lot, and it remains to be seen if the large animal organizations really want to know what we learned. I don't know where it will be, but I hope I have an opportunity to show up again. Thank you to everyone who made a difference.

4:47 PM  
Blogger pete said...

Hi, there 1-800-Save-A-Pet.com, I am out searching for information on valley dog training and found your site. Although David returns from New Orleans (If you only read one blog entry, read this one!) is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page looking for information on valley dog training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

6:01 AM  
Blogger pete said...

Hi, there 1-800-Save-A-Pet.com, I dropped in to look over this post because I wanted some info on training dog collar. I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but I could not find anything about David returns from New Orleans (If you only read one blog entry, read this one!) specifically. I was looking for information on training dog collar. Great blog thanks for the read.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Shale Dogs Team said...

powerful entry . . .

11:02 AM  
Blogger GDF said...

Words can never capture truth, they can only approximate it. But, David, your words come pretty damn close. Thank you.
And highwaysmom, thank you for Wednesday's story. As a I try to follow a Buddhist path, I prefer the story of the starfish to the the story of the snail. "Made a difference to that one."

4:13 PM  
Blogger David Meyer said...

bless you all who helped and all who cared- thank you for your comments and i agree with all you said-I have not been commenting here and am very very busy still working with Jane and Pia to keep the trapping and feeding goign espeically in Saint Bernard and trying to move on as well-- Nancy-- you got the dog in the photo- you rock- highwaysmom-- you got Miss Wednesday- you rock too- and gdf, yes i know the starfish story-- It makes a difference to this one- we do what we can...

9:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Free Web Report Reveals How Anyone Can

Become A High-Earning Super Affiliate Fast!

Download Your Copy Now Before It's Gone:

Free Web Report Reveals How Anyone Can

Become A High-Earning Super Affiliate Fast!

Download Your Copy Now Before It's Gone:

wholesale product

11:13 PM  
Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

For the next hurricane andrew ; the easy way to keep going.

11:45 PM  
Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

For the next hurricane maria ; the easy way to keep going.

2:28 AM  
Blogger rokkgod said...

I love this blog you got here. I run a movie review website and need people to do movie reviews.Movie Reviews. Thanks...sorry to be self promoting..at least you get some fresh text content.

10:04 PM  
Blogger ronmojohny said...

Hi, if you are looking for search mapquest, this site does a nice job of sorting through all of the choices. search mapquest

11:31 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/darr

Disaster Animal Response Rescuers group has just been formed to bring together the animal rescuers who traveled from near and far to aid in the recovery of animals that were affected by Hurricane Katrina and other disasters.
This group was created as a gathering place for people that would like to share their experiences. Most of all it is a tool for future events that will unite us together again.
We are devoted to using our knowledge and resources as a group to help animals in need.

This group was also created to use as a tool for communication for current and future needs during a disaster area. Next time we will all be on the same page!

All volunteers and future volunteers encouraged to join.

Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/darr

Thank you!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

This is one of the saddest and heart wrenching things I have ever read. Don't completely give up on the address lists. A friend and I rescued 2 cats that had been called in on Arthur St. and we trapped them and they were in reasonably good health. That was on Oct. 23rd. Keep up the good work and I will see y'all soon.

8:30 PM  
Blogger jole parkinis said...

1-800-Save-A-Pet.com, what are we going to do...? I'm not sure about you but it's getting harder and harder to enjoy my blog because of all the spam it's getting attacked with. You may be having a similar problem... I enjoy my normal site about top dog houses because it doesn't get cluttered with shallow comments, but when I'm visiting other blogs and places on the web looking for top dog houses stuff it seems to be everywhere.

Well I'm not sure if you have any good tips, but good luck with your website goals. I wish you the best.

11:11 AM  
Blogger AdoptionConnector said...

You have a really great blog post. Please visit this site on pet adoption jacksonville florida
pet adoption jacksonville florida

8:52 PM  
Blogger AdoptionConnector said...

You have a really great blog post. Please visit this site on pet adoption in houston texas
pet adoption in houston texas

9:17 PM  
Blogger Review Dawg said...

I just ran across your post while conducting some research on various extreme cat urine sites. Even though it wasn't really what I was searching for, I think the people who visit your site might still be interested in reading our reviews of various sites including extreme cat urine. I started creating these review sites to help people determine what's good and what's bad on the net. As you know, the more information people have before spending their hard earned money, the better. Your readers can even add their opinions for others to read. BTW, I enjoyed reading your posts.

5:41 PM  
Blogger The Best Cat Trees said...

Hi 1-800-Save-A-Pet.com, been searching the web, and came accross your site. Looking at latest info on cleaning cat urine. David returns from New Orleans (If you only read one blog entry, read this one!), maybe not the perfect match-but intresting read anyway.. off to look for cleaning cat urine...

8:37 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Having been in New Orleans for three "tours" of volunteering, I appreciate so much you confirming many of my same feelings. I keep hoping for that "and they lived happily ever after" ending.
Only one who has been their can truly understand. We all share a very special bond...
As horrible as it was..... I would not exchange my experieces for a million dollars.
On each trip.... I have brought home far more than I left with....
warmest of regards...
Nancy Clifford

9:17 PM  
Blogger Sugarloafblues said...

Thanks, David. I was one of the crowd that just "showed up". I have no words. You said it all.

5:31 PM  
Blogger donnadyg said...

You captured my feelings in so many ways. I was in NO in late September working with Pasados. I cried quietly to myself most of plane trip back to Seattle. I knew I wouldn't be understood by anyone except those who had been there. The guilt, the self doubt, the sleepless nights, the dreams of rescuing animals every night for two months. It helped me immensely to see a PBS show which featured the coast guard conducting helicopter rescues of people from rooftops immediately after Katrina. They too had to leave homes without searching if they didn't hear anything.
We touched their experience, what people and animals went through. Yes, pray for these animals wherever they are across the country. Everyday, say a prayer for the dogs in your neighborhood who are emotionally neglected, left on chains and ignored.

My new baby, a pom mix, found in a New Orleans home because a rescuer heard a bark; she had survived on dried noodle packages for over three weeks. I've named her "Hope."

1:08 AM  
Blogger donnadyg said...

You captured my feelings in so many ways. I was in NO in late September working with Pasados. I cried quietly to myself most of plane trip back to Seattle. I knew I wouldn't be understood by anyone except those who had been there. The guilt, the self doubt, the sleepless nights, the dreams of rescuing animals every night for two months. It helped me immensely to see a PBS show which featured the coast guard conducting helicopter rescues of people from rooftops immediately after Katrina. They too had to leave homes without searching if they didn't hear anything.
We touched their experience, that which people and animals went through. Yes, pray for these animals wherever they are across the country. And everyday, say a prayer for the dogs in your neighborhood who are emotionally neglected, left on chains and ignored.

My new adoptive baby, a pom mix, found my first day of rescue work in a New Orleans home because a rescuer heard a bark; she had survived on dried noodle packages for over three weeks. I've named her "Hope."

1:13 AM  
Blogger manseauR said...

Hello! This is a great blog. I just got back home from shopping with the wife and the kids and decided to log on and do some web surfing.(needed a break if you know what I mean) I came across your blog and really enjoyed it. Not many people keep their blogs up to date and most of the blogs I do fine are not even relevant to the blog topic. I bookmarked your blog for future reference.
Anyways keep up the great work and if you don�t mind I will forward your blog off to a few of my buddies. Thanks a bunch!disaster recovery data storage

6:13 PM  
Blogger James Baker said...

Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
site & blog about whole sale dog supplies.
Yours is top-notch!
If you have a moment, please visit my site
whole sale dog supplies
I wish you all the best!

12:43 AM  
Blogger James Baker said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
wholesale and dog toys
It covers wholesale and dog toys related subjects.
Have a great day!

8:35 PM  
Blogger James Baker said...

Hi Blogger!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
winter dog supplies
It pretty much covers winter dog supplies related issues.
Best regards!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Paul Adams said...

Hi Blogger!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
wilson pet supply
It pretty much covers wilson pet supply related issues.
Best regards!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Blogster said...

Hey ##NAME##! Just thought I would write a brief note pertaining to ##TITLE##. I usually lurk, but your post caught my eye while I was looking for info on Yorkshire Terrier Puppies. My focus is generally Yorkshire Terrier Puppies, and while this is not a perfect match, I liked what you said. Like I said, I usually lurk rather than comment but I couldn't help sympathize. Thanks again!

7:27 PM  
Blogger James Baker said...

Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
site & blog about pet center.
Yours is top-notch!
If you have a moment, please visit my site
pet center
I wish you all the best!

4:21 AM  
Blogger Paul Adams said...

I was just searching blogs,and I found your site, Friend! I like it!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success.
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
pet center
It pretty much covers pet center related issues.
All the best!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Paul Adams said...

Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
site & blog about pet center.
Yours is top-notch!
If you have a moment, please visit my site
pet center
I wish you all the best!

6:40 PM  
Blogger James Baker said...

I was just searching blogs,and I found your site, Friend! I like it!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success.
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
pet center
It pretty much covers pet center related issues.
All the best!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Joe Berenguer said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found your site! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
pet center
It covers pet center related contents.
All the best!

2:36 AM  
Blogger Jane Carpenter said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my adopt pets Kansas site.
Have a good day!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Time Freedom Fighter said...

fosters pet supplyLarge supermarkets and supercenter stores have some of the best bargains for pet supplies and other everday items you need. Many vendors in the mall and other shopping centers have specialty pet supply items that you won't be able to find anywhere else.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Time Freedom Fighter said...

pet supply storesLarge supermarkets and supercenter stores have some of the best bargains for pet supplies and other everday items you need. Many vendors in the mall and other shopping centers have specialty pet supply items that you won't be able to find anywhere else.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



11:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pet stores everywhere are experiencing these pet food risks.
I think it is great that you run a pet store and your telling people now to buy your product.
Pet supplies
Some owners might now realize this problem affects their type of pet product.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My daughter rescued a cat from Katrina. She named her "Lou" from Louisiana. She was so traumatized that she would not come out from under her bed for over a year's time. My daughter both fed her, watered her and provided for her waste disposal until finally she came out and she was able to start petting. She has now located out on another one of our farms, lives a life of come and go as she pleases and lets the grandchildren pet her now. She was posted on the vet's bulletin board is how she found her. What a wonderful ending of a very sad situation.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home