Sunday, October 02, 2005

David's Update - October 2

Posted by David Meyer

I have been working through the night and day since I got back to San Francisco. It’s like I’m still in New Orleans, just without as much craziness as we had in the command center we set up.

I have been trying to remotely solve internet problems at the command center, handling the logistics of housing and moving pets, and printing the lists of homes not yet checked for our rescuers in the field to use. Pia Salk is still on the ground with Jane Garrison, and together we are scrambling to find a place to put all the pets our volunteers rescue each day, now that the main facility at Gonzales is closed to new arrivals.

We dropped off our pets yesterday to one group with a makeshift shelter in the parking lot of a grocery store. We will also be dropping off pets with another rescue group operating a shelter in a farmer's field about an hour outside of New Orleans. With so little holding space for the 100 or more pets we rescue each day, I have now turned my full attention to alerting the nation's no-kill shelters and rescue groups that we need their help. We need no-kill groups to provide foster care for pets until December 31, hopefully giving owners enough time to claim them. Any pets not claimed by that date will then be made available for adoption. I may have already organized an air transport for 200 pets this Tuesday, but I am leaving no stone unturned. There are a lot of details to work out with regard to transport; the animals must be kept safe and cool, a solid tracking system must be implemented to make sure owners can find their lost pets, and we need to make sure these pets end up in good hands.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Danaher said...

10/4

Please contact Eric Rice at 443.421.0000 and ericrice3@comcast.net.

Eric writes: How do I get in touch with him (David Meyer) I have some shelters who have called me, I have a guy driving with some refridge trucks and I have the lady with the airplanes.

Please email us your email address and direect line.

Thanks, Kate Danaher
I left you a voicemail today. I was with Jane Sept 17 Day 1 of Command Center/Dispatch in Prowler...
415-459-1149
katedanaher@animalearthhuman.org

12:20 PM  
Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

For the next naming hurricane ; the easy way to keep going.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home