Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Tragedy for some, relief for others - September 27

Posted by David Meyer

It is the middle of the night on my second night without sleep. I have succeeded in getting the list of evacuees who called the HSUS hotline to report their pets had been left behind into a format (using a great program created by Mapquest) that our rescuers can use. Dorothy of dogdetective.com is amazing and together we have now set a system in place. Yesterday, we sent out 42 teams to specific addresses on that list; for many of the pets we are too late, but we are still finding some alive.

Yesterday I found a cat locked in a house. I was able to get the phone number of the owner, a man named John, and today I had a teary conversation with him. He’s a big tough guy from New Jersey who told me how much he loved his cats and he said the most amazing thing to me. He said something like, “I never imagined that I would wake up one day and lose everything, and I did. I lost my home, my job, my wife lost her job, we lost all of our belongings, and everything. But you have given the most important thing back to me.” He said he could never truly thank me enough-he thought his cat was dead and I saved her. This is the fuel that keeps me going, but time is running out. I have many lists to send people to tomorrow and I am considering asking some of the tougher volunteers to go out alone, rather than in teams, to cover more ground.

Its all so tragic-- must sleep now.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Girl said...

do you still need volunteers at the gonzales shelter or strickly people for rescue efforts? i have a few days availible, i could drive there from los angeles on sunday (10/2) and stay until thurday (10/6), could i be of help at the shelter then? will gas be hard to get in the area? please let me know...
mandawalker79@yahoo.com

thanks!
amanda

1:15 AM  
Blogger Kalpert said...

I found this website because my husband and I wanted to help with the many animal rescue efforts down in Louisiana and Texas. Stumbling upon this blog was definitely a sign because I was an old friend of Pia Salk's back in our teenaged years and have since lost touch! I'm based in Los Angeles- I'd love to connect with Pia and your group to help donate money, raise money/organize a fundraiser... perhaps foster or adopt a doggie. Please let me know how else I can help! Glad to know Pia is still as amazing as she was back in Fire Island (1986? 87?) THANK YOU!
-Kayla Alpert
KALPERT@MAC.COM

11:30 AM  
Blogger The Girl said...

keep writing! i've been enjoying reading this blog everyday to check on your progress. good luck! you guys are amazing and so many people appreciate what you are doing. :)

12:41 PM  
Blogger ronmojohny said...

Hi, if you are looking for mapquest in spanish, this site does a nice job of sorting through all of the choices. mapquest in spanish

11:00 AM  
Blogger ronmojohny said...

Hi, if you are looking for mapquest calgary, this site does a nice job of sorting through all of the choices. mapquest calgary

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home