Friday, September 30, 2005

David prepares to leave Gonzales

Posted by David Meyer

I have now been coordinating the search and rescue effort out of Gonzales for nearly 2 weeks, along with Jane Garrison. We have made a trailer into a true command center and, using a list of people who had asked that their pets be rescued, we developed a database with mapping features that allows us to go directly to their homes. Unfortunately we are often too late now. There are more dead animals then live ones, but we are doing all we can to move as quickly as possible. We now command a group of 60 teams going into the field.

The care facility at the Lamar Dixon Center in Gonzales has just announced it will shut down and today is our last day to bring pets here. This is terrible news for us and we are scrambling to find other places to house animals, or even to use as a staging ground from which to move them to safety at other humane societies around the country.

I must go home to attend to my own life and my own animals. I will be leaving today, and taking with me nearly a dozen rescued pets, bound for the Marin Humane Society. I have set in motion procedures that I hope will allow rescue operations to continue uninterrupted after I leave, and I will be able to manage some things remotely to support Jane from my home.

Pia Salk is now back in New Orleans, and she’ll be remaining here to help coordinate the transport of pets.

That’s all for now--

7 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I am trying to get a straight answer from someone as to whether or not I should go back again to do rescues. Are they going to be allowed and if so who should I contact. Please enlighten and thanks for doing this.
Cindy

11:00 AM  
Blogger Conrad said...

You are doing the work of (a) God.

I can't imagine the logistics, the mess the feeling of accomplishment and safety of the animals.

Now that humans have been saved, I think it's time we turned to the animals. Food , water and shelter.

Nice rally.

5:24 PM  
Blogger emmalou said...

Search this thing - it is hilarious how people cant even spell right when they are selling something on eBay

Misspelledauctions.com

3:55 AM  
Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

Be prepared for the next hurricane katrina volunteer or find another one that's similar. As the Boy Scouts say: "Be Prepared"!

1:11 AM  
Blogger ronmojohny said...

Hi, if you are looking for search the web for mapquest, this site does a nice job of sorting through all of the choices. search the web for mapquest

10:37 AM  
Blogger ronmojohny said...

Hi, if you are looking for google mapquest, this site does a nice job of sorting through all of the choices. google mapquest

6:46 PM  
Blogger ronmojohny said...

Hi, if you are looking for language en mapquest, this site does a nice job of sorting through all of the choices. language en mapquest

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home